- Man’s naga-bakama, (formal wear), umanori (divided legs) hakama. Suitable for various ceremonies, including weddings
- A black and gold brocade, with dramatic sasa (bamboo) leaf weave. The third last picture below shows the back of the fabric, on the inside
- Synthetic fabric
- I will include tying and folding instructions
- Made and bought in Japan
- The Japanese take great pains to store their traditional garments with the utmost care, which is why they stay in such exceptional condition. Some of my Japanese garments have large, white stitching (shitsuke) round the edges. The Japanese put these stitches in to keep the edges flat during long periods of storage, these stitches just get pulled out before wearing the garment
- Please be aware that different monitors display colour slightly differently. Therefore the colour in the photos and description is a guide only
Excellent – a few very tiny, minor and inconspicuous pulls in the gold thread – see photos
Length 91cm from base of backboard to hem.
The waist of hakama is always free/adjustable size, tied to fit
Bamboo Naga-Bakama Hakama
The Hakama has significant meaning applied to its design. The seven folds in the hakama represent seven virtues of the Samurai – Yuki (courage), Jin (humility), Gi (justice), Rei (chivalry), Makoto (honesty), Chugi (loyalty), and Meiyo (prestige).
Men's hakama come as andon (undivided legs) and umanor (divided legs) versions.
Originally, the hakama was worn as an outer garment to protect a samurai horseman's legs from brush, weeds, etc. (similar to a cowboy’s leather chaps). In Japan, since leather was so very hard to come by, heavy cloth was used in its place. After the samurai made the transition from mounted soldiers to foot soldiers, they continued to wear the hakama, largely due to the fact that it set them apart and made them easily identifiable
These Japanese garments should be hung out to air 4 times per year, if not worn frequently, just as the Japanese do. Hang your garment to air when you receive it too, as it will have been stored for a while.
Specialist dry clean only.