- A glorious, shaded red, silk Nagoya obi, with stunning, hand applied (yuzen textile art) hydrangea.
- A Taiko-gara obi. Taiko-gara obis have a pattern only on the taiko (rear ‘knot’) part and centre front of the sash part. It's also called santsuu obi, which means “30% partially -patterned". The rest of the obi is plain.
- Made and bought in Japan
- A Nagoya obi. Nagoya obis often have the sash part already folded to half depth, with the knot section at full width, making them easier to put on. Some you fold yourself. This style was invented about 100 years ago and is less heavy than a more formal fukuro or maru obi. Nagoya are usually tied in a taiko musubi (square style knot, named after the Taiko bridge, at the opening of which a few geisha wore it as a new style, after which it became very popular and has remained so ever since), though they can be tied in other knots. Nagoya obis are less formal than a fukuro or maru obis but more formal than hanhaba obis
Obi are one-size-fits-all items
Width 30cm & 15cm
3D Hydrangea Nagoya Obi
- There are numerous types of Japanese obi, from the casual hanhaba obi and heko obi to the formal maru and fukuro obis and several other types too. You can find lots of information about obis can be found in this site's Info section
- The Japanese take great pains to store their traditional garments with the utmost care, which is why they stay in such exceptional condition. Some of my Japanese garments have large, white stitching (shitsuke) round the edges. The Japanese put these stitches in to keep the edges flat during long periods of storage, these stitches just get pulled out before wearing the garment
- Cleaning: Great care must be taken in cleaning obi. It is not adviseable to wash them. Many may be dry cleaned. Any cleaning is done at the buyer's risk, as is the case with all vintage items.
- Nagoya obi folding instructions on my blog, plus names of the parts of the obi, how to wear obi makura, obiage and obijime with your obi and a diagram with shapes and scale of the different obi types.